Molotov cocktails, a Romanian rifle, “white supremacist stuff”…
Today, the FBI announced the arrest of a Minnesota man believed to have been plotting a “localized terror attack.”
Buford Rogers, a 24 year-old from Montevideo, Minn., was arrested Friday and charged with one count of being a felon in possession of a firearm. He appeared in federal court Monday, and will have a second hearing Wednesday to set the terms of his detention.
The investigation is ongoing, but a number of early details are available. Here’s what we know so far:
1. An attack was probably not imminent
Authorities believe Rogers was planning to attack an undisclosed area in western Minnesota, and that he’d possibly targeted local authorities. According to the AP, that target was likely somewhere in Rogers’ home town of Montevideo.
However, investigators believe Rogers was still in the very early planning stages, and that an attack was not imminent. Nonetheless, “the FBI believes that a terror attack was disrupted by law enforcement personnel and that the lives of several local residents were potentially saved,” the Minneapolis FBI office said in a statement.
Law enforcement officials have been quick to shoot down any speculation about whether Rogers was acting alone or as part of a group. They’ve also declined to say if more arrests may be on the way.
“This is an ongoing investigation,” FBI spokesman Kyle A. Loven told the Los Angeles Times.